HPC Logo

 


Main Menu

ABOUT THE COUNCIL

   Council Responsibilities

   Council Members

   Council Finance

ABOUT OUR VILLAGE

   Village History

   Local Facilities

   Planning Applications

   Lengthsman Scheme

COMMUNICATIONS

   Notice Board

   Meeting Dates

   Council Agenda

   Council Minutes

   Newsletter

   Clerk's Reports

   Annual Report

   Borough & County    Councillors

   Procedures and Policies

   Freedom of Information

CONTACT

Village History

THE VILLAGE OF HUTTON 

1150  TO  2007 AD

The name ‘Hutton’ is derived from the old English word ‘Hoh Tun’, meaning ‘a settlement on a spur of land’.  Research has indicated that there is good reason to believe that there was a settlement in Hutton five thousand years ago.

There is no record of Hutton in the Domesday Survey of 1086, no doubt due to it at that time being only a very small group of cottages.   The first known record of note was in 1150 A.D. when a landowner, Orme-de-Hutton, is recorded as owning a large portion of what was then known as the ‘Estates of Hutton’.  In the 13th Century, as a consequence of grateful landowners giving large areas of Hutton to Cockersands Abbey, Hutton had strong connections with the Abbey.By the Civil Wars of 1642-46 and 1648-49, the ‘Hutton Estate and Manor’ was in the ownership of the Rawstrone family, which was headed by a leading North of England Loyalist and supporter of King Charles I. The Rawstrones were a divided family; some supporting and fighting for the King, and some for Parliament.  The result was a divided village, as brother fought brother.  This division of loyalties eventually proved beneficial in that after the wars the estate remained in the ownership of the Rawstrone family! Throughout the 18th and 19th centuries, when prior to the reclamation of the River Ribble Estuary and the improvement of the marshes the tide regularly reached the Bottom of Hutton and Old Grange, fishing on the Ribble was a small but thriving industry.  This, together with labouring on farms, domestic work for the gentry, and Cottage industries such as weaving and garden produce, provided the main source of income for many of Hutton’s residents. In 1746, Hutton Grammar School moved from Longton to its present site in Hutton.  The existing building was constructed in 1931.

From 1500, to the 1800’s, Hutton was connected to Lea and the Fylde coast by a ford across the River Ribble, close to Dungeon Farm, on Skip Lane.  The first regular direct stage coach service between Preston and Liverpool, which passed through Hutton, commenced in 1774. 

The first National Census in 1801 shows Hutton with a population of 462, comprised of 90 families.  By 1851, 208 children under 15 years of age lived in the village.The 1845 Ordnance Survey Map shows the village mainly centred on Liverpool Road between the Anchor Inn and Skip Lane, and off Moor Lane and Skip Lane.  On the 1st January 1895, Hutton residents elected their first Parish Council.The construction of the railway in 1882, connecting Preston to Southport and Liverpool, and the opening of a railway station in Chapel Lane, New Longton, placed Hutton firmly on the map.  From 1897 to 1934 it was known as ‘Hutton and Howick Station’.  Regretfully the line closed in 1964, and the station and land were sold.The breaking up, and commencement of the sale of the Hutton Estate in 1915 was the start of significant change for the village as much of the area was earmarked for housing development.   Housing projects commenced after the 1st World War, when in 1924 Tolsey Drive was developed. This was followed by Anchor Drive and Stanley Avenue and the ‘in filling’ of several plots on Liverpool Road. Birchwood Avenue followed in the late 1930s and the ‘Anchor’ and the ‘Stiles Avenue’ housing estates were built in the 1970s.The late 1930s saw the commencement of the construction of the Lancashire Constabulary Headquarters, within the site of ‘Hutton Hall’, and its grounds, also the purchase for the Constabulary of ‘Home Mead House’ and its grounds, and ‘Moor Farm’, both off Lindle Lane. Following the 2nd World War, the Force Headquarters was increased in size on a number of occasions.  There was also the building of a large housing complex for occupation by police officers, the ‘Lindle Estate’, and other smaller groups of police houses throughout the village.  Now most of those houses are in private ownership.The population of Hutton in the 1971 Census is recorded as 2,850 persons.  By 2001 it was shown as having dropped to 2,073 persons. This was partly due to boundary changes, the loss of the residential students and staff at the Agricultural College, and the conversion of police houses to offices at the police headquarters.  However, in recent years new developments have taken place.  The former County Agricultural ‘Myerscough College’, off Lindle Lane, is now a major housing complex of 90 houses, ‘Thornton Grange’.  Further smaller housing developments have also occurred on Liverpool Road and on Moor Lane.  It is estimated that the village population today is approximately 2,350.Facilities for residents of the village today are partly within the parish and also in adjacent areas. Infant and junior schools are located at Howick Cross, Longton, New Longton and Ashbridge Independent School in the parish. Hutton Grammar School, centrally located within the village, provides secondary and 6th form education and is currently undergoing a major modernisation programme. Other secondary schools are located in Penwortham and 6th form colleges are at Leyland and Preston. Hutton Village Hall has since 1986 provided a central focus for many activities in the village. It is a popular venue for regular meetings of many groups and for private and public events. A recreation ground (providing a football pitch, a children’s playground and a private tennis club) and the village pond are well-used facilities adjacent to the hall. Other sports facilities are available at the grammar school together with a new private tennis club (open to subscription) at Thornton Grange. There are a number of shops (including a post office) and businesses within the village. Larger shopping centres at Longton and Penwortham, both within two miles, also have health centres and churches. Hutton remains a popular village today, and is regarded as being a very good area to live.

 

 

 

 

Where We Are
UK Map
Click to view Detail Map

Links

Guidance for the reporting of local issues.


Photo Gallery

A collection of local & parish council event photographs


©2008 Hutton Parish Council
www.huttonparishcouncil.co.uk